Wisdom

January 7, 2015




I'm teaming up with One Word 365 today.

"One Word 365 is more than a new way to approach resolutions. It’s a global tribe committed to journeying together and living intentionally.You can connect with others who have chosen the same word or live in your area. Together, we can inspire and challenge each other to live purposefully all year long."

I choose wisdom. I want it because my Father tells me that I should. I want His wisdom so that I love others well, repent often and run to Jesus quickly and consistently. I want wisdom so that the truth of my sin is ever before me, humbling me and showing me my need for Jesus. I want wisdom so that the truth of the Gospel sets me free from those sins to love God and to love people.The passage below is from Proverbs 3 and has enough information on wisdom for me to unpack for the rest of my days.

"Blessed are those who find wisdom,
    those who gain understanding,
14 for she is more profitable than silver
    and yields better returns than gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies;
    nothing you desire can compare with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand;
    in her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are pleasant ways,
    and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
    those who hold her fast will be blessed.
19 By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations,
    by understanding he set the heavens in place;
20 by his knowledge the watery depths were divided,
    and the clouds let drop the dew.
21 My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight,
    preserve sound judgment and discretion;
22 they will be life for you,
    an ornament to grace your neck.
23 Then you will go on your way in safety,
    and your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
    when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
25 Have no fear of sudden disaster
    or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,
26 for the Lord will be at your side
    and will keep your foot from being snared."

My initial word was "love". I have understood more in the last year of God's great love for me, in Jesus, than most of my years combined. As the Church we often do not love well. We don't love each other and we certainly don't love the people outside of our walls. 

So yes, Love should be my word too, but as I seek for God to give me his wisdom, I believe love to be a natural product. God is love, after all.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: