Africa or bust!

February 16, 2007


This past Wednesday was not only Valentine’s Day but also my 20th anniversary of being an American citizen.  OK, friends, stop yawning, I know you’ve heard it all before, but #20 is pretty significant! If you happen to notknow what I am talking about here is the link back to my original post concerning my history.
As you know, I haven’t been back to the land of my birth since we left in 1980.(if you’re doing the math, my mom could only take the citizenship test after being here at least 5 years)  A few months ago my dad  invited me to go back to South Africa with him this March.  I was a little hesitant at first, for many reasons; leaving David and the kids, being so far away etc….but now I am completely and wonderfully excited!  I’ll be visiting family whom I haven’t seen in years as well as places that are only a distant memory for me.  I even have the privilege of singing in my cousin’s wedding. 
I grew up in Durban with relatives all over including Cape Town so that’s where we will be spending our week.  Beautiful Cape Town!  Oh, and I forgot to mention that we have a day’s layover in Spain-a whole day from 7am to midnight!  I know I’ll probably be extremely tired but getting to see Spain, if only for a day, is definitely worth it!  And last, but definitely not least my Dad and I will be able be together just like the "old" days…off on one of our grand adventures!
Bookmark and Share

No comments: