Christmas traditions

December 7, 2007

Ever since I can remember my mom has baked a very special Christmas cake to celebrate the holiday. If I described this cake to you most of you would probably not want to partake in its yummy goodness...this is, after all, a giant fruitcake.
I've realized after being an American for 21 years that most Americans have a general dislike, and maybe even a serious hatred, for the poor fruitcake. Just remember, that this is a homemade fruitcake and should not be compared to the little briquettes that make their way to various homes during the holidays.
Mom usually makes one large cake for the whole family and we share it throughout December and January whenever we visit. This year Mom made each family their own little cake and had the kids over to decorate. I decided that this definitely needs to become a tradition for our family! Here are some pictures from our fun cake time:




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Melissa said...

These cakes look yummy! I've never thought of making one, but I do love them. I drool over the ones in the Swiss Colony catalog. Pineapple Macadamia Nut sounds divine!

Miss you!

Sara said...

My Mom is from Canada-the British side so they also have fruit cakes-my grandmother makes two and sends them down every year-we freeze them and have a slice with tea whenever I visit. Thanks for reminding me of a special memory.