Significance

August 24, 2006


My prayer request yesterday in Bible Study went something like this:  “  I feel like my life is just passing me by.  I wake up in the morning and do the chores and tasks in my day that I need to do, and before I know it the next day has arrived and I start all over again.  Its not that I am swamped, depressed, or even happy or joyful…I'm just living and I'm scared my life is going to pass right by and my children will be grown and D. and I will be old.”  That I will not remember special times because maybe they didn't exist or that I will not have made a difference in people's lives for the sake of Christ, especially my children.
I've been thinking about this and realize that my life is missing its significance.  In our country we are so swamped with thinking that we can make our own destinies, become our own gods, that even us Bible-believing Christians buy into it without really realizing the slow downward spiral.  Our own sinful nature doesn't help either…
So for me, right now, in my life, it comes down to the pure and simple fact that I need to spend more time with my Heavenly Father.  I see Him working in amazing ways around me, in my friends and family and my own life.  When I think about Him I am immediately aware of receiving his favor, and deeply passionate love.  He is where my signifcance lies and without Him I am nothing.  And even more than that, I want to be with Him for Him, because I miss Him.  The whole world can pass away and it can just be Him and I together.  He is what I need and long for .  My life is insignificant without Him, but beautiful, fulfilling and purposed with Him.
So, now I know what I was really needing to pray for yesterday-to spend time with Him above all else, and not because I am living under some self-imposed law but because I desperately love and need Him every day.  I cannot use the excuse of being a busy, tired stay-at-home mom anymore because I do make time for other things I like to do, so… if you don't mind, say a prayer for me because we have lives of distraction and I want to have a life of focus and vision.
                                    
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven'
s joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: