little men

July 31, 2007

I was sitting at the computer today just finishing up with my emails and blogs. Ethan came over and grabbed my arm to give me a hug. I turned around so that I could give him a proper one with both arms and he stayed like that for a moment longer than usual. Bebo was of course playing in the background, a song called Try, off the album of the same name. It's a moving, sentimental song about him and his wife, being a boy, dreams...a specific line in the song always grabs me. It's so honest, vulnerable, and it makes me think about men in our culture. The struggle to survive, thrive and be men in a feminist society.

Bebo sings, "I'm afraid to grow up, but somewhere inside is the will of a man". I won't try to add or subtract from the ideas Bebo is trying to convey with his lyrics, but it makes me think of my little boys. I'm a girl who has grown up in this society where men are demeaned, mocked and disrespected. They are my children, but they will be men one day and I am a woman helping to raise them to become those men. Men who love their Father, cherish their wives and children, stand up for goodness and truth and virtue. I'm humbled and blessed to be their mother and at the same time I am so thankful that their Heavenly Father loves them even more than I do and will work out His perfect plan for their lives. I know that this plan will include sadness and struggle because that is the way of the Cross. But I believe it will also include joy and peace and I pray, an all-consuming love for their Maker.
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You make me want to have a son! It really is a privilege to raise boys. You're doing a wonderful job my friend!

Melissa said...

Thanks for reminding me of the bigger picture - it's more than just potties and time-outs. We are raising future husbands, fathers, family leaders - a daunting task, a high call.

trmills said...

So lovely. Thank you for the reminder of the high calling we have as we nurture our little ones, and that we can do it with joy and anticipation in the midst of the fear and trembling! Their Father in Heaven does love them even more than we do and we can and must trust Him...