Important Decisions

February 15, 2006


I've been homeschooling Hannah for a couple of years now and am really enjoying it.  I do have to be honest enough to say that at times it is inconvenient and the weight of knowing that I am responsible for her education, is a heavy load.  Still, I believe that this is the best choice for her and so I plug on.  I homeschool for many reasons, with the biggie, being my desire for her to learn about everything from a Christian worldview.  After all, God created everything: science, math, language, art, music etc…

I grew up in the public school environment and no, we didn't have shootings, guns or drugs( that I knew of), but my education lacked so much of the knowledge of God in all things, not to mention the lack of moral teaching in specific reference to Scripture. I am only now learning the true stories of Leif Erickson, Christopher Columbus and the Pilgrims.( I am in First grade all over again!) 
Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't say that there are not good, Christian men and women in our public schools today, I am simply not able to find them and pick them personally to teach Hannah.  On top of that, even if I was able to , those men and women would not be allowed to share with her their convictions concerning God, Scripture and the world.
And with all of that being said, I have to confess that I am a sinful human, unaware of the intricate ways that God deals with his children.  The older I get, the more I realize how amazing, loving and mysterious are the ways of my Lord.  Our heavenly Father directs each of us according to His will for our lives.  In some instances regarding education this may mean public school, in some private, and in some, homeschool.  Each family has to prayerfully weigh the options and decide what is right for their family.
This is where we find ourselves.  Next Thursday night my hub and I will attend a meeting introducing and inviting us to be a part of a new school starting this Fall in our area.  This school will be a Classical Christian School ( using the Trivium) and also a University model, in that it only meets on M,W,F.  They see the need for parents to be directly involved in their children's education and so on Tuesdays and Thursdays parents are able to teach their children at home(with the curriculum provided).  It seems to be a perfect blend of the things we desire in Hannah's education: the Christian worldview, a great education based on the Trivium and the involvement that I seek personally as well.   The catch: well, you can imagine that being a private school the cost is much more substantial than that of homeschooling, and yet, it is less than the average private school in our area.  So this is our important decision; the sacrifice we can make, if it means no vacation some years or not wearing the nicest clothes ( wait a second..that happens now!) we only want to do the best for her, as do all parents, so we will pray, budget and let you know how it all turns out.  Its a relief to know whatever the outcome, that we are in our Creator's loving, merciful,  faithful hands and he is directing our every step!
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Come thou fount of every blessing , tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy never ceasing , call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet sung by flaming tongues above;
praise his name-I'm fixed upon it-name of God's redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by thy help I've come;
and I hope by thy good pleasure safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger , bought me with his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to Thee:
prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart , O , take and seal it; seal it for thy courts above.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: