Gentle Jesus, Meek and Mild

July 8, 2006


As children, my parents prayed a sweet, simple prayer with us every night before we fell asleep.  David and I now pray the same prayer with our children, and they will probably carry on the tradition with their own families.  After a little research David discovered that the words were actually part of a larger poem written by Charles Wesley in 1742 and set to music by Martin F. Shaw in 1915.  It was a special find as it has always been a part of my life.  We only say the first stanza together but now that I know the whole of it, I will try to put it all to memory.
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Look upon a little child;
Pity my simplicity,
Suffer me to come to Thee.
Lamb of God, I look to Thee;
Thou shalt my Example be;
Thou art gentle, meek, and mild;
Thou wast once a little child.
Lord, I would be as Thou art;
Give me Thine obedient heart;
Thou art pitiful and kind,
Let me have Thy loving mind.
Let me, above all, fulfill
God my heav�nly Father�s will;
Never His good Spirit grieve;
Only to His glory live.
Loving Jesus, gentle Lamb,
In Thy gracious hands I am;
Make me, Savior, what Thou art,
Live Thyself within my heart.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: