Storms

July 29, 2006


Our youngest babe is two and quite scared of thunderstorms.  I thought it might ease his fears a bit to actually view a storm instead of only hearing all the noise it creates.  Somehow the unknown seems scarier than the reality, so we have started a family tradition of storm watching.  Personally, I have always loved storms.  I'll talk about that in a minute, but first our tradition;  this consists of the three nutheads running to the front door hopping up and down nervously waiting for me to open the (child proof) handle.  Scurrying outside, taking our seats and watching the storm(amidst much oooohing, aaahing and squeeling).  Our house sits on top of a ridge and when we look out from our covered front porch we can see for miles.  The view is pretty amazing and we have seen rain coming from far away, mist rising through the trees and enormous lightening bolts blazing the sky.  I don't know if my plan has worked but the enjoyment of storm watching together has definitely been worth it.
Now, why I love storms:(I feel like I'm in 6th grade writing an essay).  I feel small and human when I  watch a storm.  Now what I mean when I say “human”, is that feeling of creation, of being formed from the dust and made to tend a garden and take care of the animals.  Of being insignificant in one hand and sacrificially loved on the other.  To look up at the sky and experience God's might and power, and that just an inkling.  To realize that the same God who created such extreme beauty and fierceness in nature also loves peace, patience, kindness, and mercy.  To realize that same God loves me and wants me and adores me and died for me and lives for me and in me.
We've  always tried to explain to the children that our Father is the one who sends the storms and that they are good for us and our land.  I'm learning constantly how this also applies to the emotional storms that he sends.  They are also good for us as they make us depend on Him and Him alone.
Just a few tidbits to think about the next time a storm approaches…
Bookmark and Share

No comments: